Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Never too many apples

Apples everywhere - now what? I know in our house the abundance of fall means fresh apples daily...but there are always more than we can eat. 

Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy apples throughout Autumn - or anytime!




Apple Sauce is so much easier than you think: 

Core, peel and cut into a large dice any quantity of your favorite apples. Put in a sauce pan with about 2 Tbs of water, cover and simmer until apples are soft, stirring frequently. Mash with a potato masher - we like the sauce still chunky and served warm, but you can food process or blend for a smooth sauce. A little cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top - perfect side dish or dessert. If you like your applesauce sweetened, add a little sugar as your are cooking.



Apple Pan Cake is why I bought my big cast iron skillet. A quick and easy go-to for dessert or just eating, my favorite recipe is this classic from allrecipes



Grilled Apples are the perfect accompaniment to a pork tenderloin crusted with a slightly spicy rub. I let my apples soak in lemon juice and a little sugar to soften them up and throw them on the grill as my meat reaches the end of its cooking time.



While these are some of our favorites, I am always open to suggestions. What great apple recipes do you prepare when you have apples in abundance? Share in the comments  - I'll look forward to some new recipes to try!




No comments:

Post a Comment